Henderson, North Carolina

Downtown Development

Donate to Downtown Development



First United Methodist Churchis a massive parapeted front gabled roof structure with pointed arched windows of stained glass with tracery. This 1930 Gothic Revival style structure is constructed of granite from the nearby Paschall family quarry in Wise, NC. In the southwest corner is a square bell tower with buttresses, topped by a polygonal steeple and a “cross of lights”.
114 Church Street
Henderson, NC 27536
(252) 438-8791

 


Ecclesiastical architecture within Henderson’s Central Business Historic District is represented by four churches, all being contributing structures to the district. Three of the churches represent the Gothic Revival style.



Cotton Memorial Presbyterian Church

Rev. Linda L. Parker
511 N. Chestnut Street
Henderson, NC 27536

Their Website

 



Equipping Faith Church

Rev. Orlando & Fanta Terry
549 S. Williams Street
Henderson, NC 27536

EFC's Facebook Page

 



First Prebyterian Churchis the only example of the Colonial Revival style in the district. Built in 1900, this church sits on a slight knoll, and commands a view of the district. Built of brick with corner quoins, this church features a gable front roof with modillion cornice, a broad plain frieze and Corinthian columns. The tree bay front façade consist of a central double door with fanlight and keystone arch flanked by single doors.

222 Young Street 
Henderson, NC 27536
(252) 492-0156

Their Website

Growing Inner-City Churches



The Church of the Holy Innocents, constructed of brick in 1885 is a fine example of English Gothic architecture. This church was built in memory of John R. Eaton. The sanctuary is a cruciform, with square bell tower, lancet arched bays, quoining on the second stage and a spire topped with a larger cross in the northwest corner. Additions to the rear and north side are set back and do not detract from the dramatic effect of the principal façade.

210 S. Chestnut Street     
Henderson, NC 27536
(252) 492-0904

www.churchoftheholyinnocents.org

...more to come

PLACEHOLDER PHOTO



First Baptist Church of Hendersonis the third sanctuary built for a congregation organized in 1856.This Gothic Revival building, constructed on Mount Airy granite, has a parapeted front gable roof with a lower parapeted cross gable with buttresses, a projecting entry surmounted by an “oeil de boeuf” window with trefoil motif. Bays are Gothic -arched with a three-part tracery design in the arch. An off-center buttressed and crenellated square tower rises in the southwest of this 1912 structure.

205 W. Winder St.   
Henderson, NC 27536
(252) 438-3172

www.fbchenderson.net