Henderson, North Carolina
We’d love to help make your street level business in Downtown Henderson more vibrant. Upgrade your storefront, improve signage, add outdoor seating, activate your sidewalk or rooftop, house a new business collaboration, and more…
The Downtown Development Commission (DDC) is awarding matching grants to the ideas that create the most vibrancy downtown, so give us your best, most exciting ideas to help define the neighborhood and activate your space. If selected, we’ll cover up to 50% of your project costs, up to $2,500 per business.
ELIGIBILITY: The Vibrancy Grant Program is available to property owners and qualified businesses within the Historic Downtown Business District. Governmental entities are not eligible. Eligible projects must result in a visible improvement to the property and add vibrancy to the street. This program is not designed to fund general maintenance.
The following types of improvements are eligible for funding on commercial and mixed-use buildings within the described boundaries:
1. Installation of new, pedestrian level commercial façades appropriate to the architectural style, age and character of individual buildings.
2. Enhancements that activate the sidewalk such as outdoor dining areas, merchandise displays or planters.
3. Open storefronts and active rooftops that encourage interaction between the street and business
4. Exceptional signage that identifies the business and adds to the character of downtown
5. Architectural lighting including: lighting which enhances the building’s façade and enhances the pedestrian environment, lighting of window display areas and lighting of architectural details
6. New canopies or awnings that contribute to a well-designed and inviting storefront
The DDC seeks, through the Vibrancy Grant Program, to:
1. Improve the public and pedestrian environment of downtown Henderson.
2. Improve the external appearance and lighting of storefronts in order to attract more customers and enhance the attractiveness of downtown Henderson.
3. Embrace unique spaces and businesses to create one-of-a-kind experiences, products and services
4. Encourage and support economic development
New Business Incentive Grant
- To provide an economic incentive to encourage new business development and entrepreneurship.
- To promote rehabilitation in the downtown area and preserve the unique historic character of existing structures.
ELIGIBILITY: Any owner or tenant of a commercial or mixed use building located within the Priority I Downtown District.
Owner and tenant (if applicable) must be current on all Henderson & Vance County taxes for two years prior to the application date.
Owners and tenants may not request incentive grants separately; however, any tenant must have the owner’s written permission attached to the application.
Now Accepting Applications
Pictured are Kaine Riggan, Downtown Development Director, Cherie Pittman (Next Door Bistro), Llew Sutton (Uncle Llew’s), Charles Bowman (Southern Classic Cars) and Phil Hart, HVDDC Chair. These entrepreneurs were awarded over $2,000 in fascade incentives for their improvements.
No one grant will exceed $6,000 in a fiscal year (July 1-June 30). Each property is eligible for one building incentive grant in a fiscal year. A minimum of 90% of the awarded grant funds will be required from all participants.
Grant funds will be awarded for eligible projects on a funds-available basis. Grantees may be subject to restrictions on multiple-year applications.
New Employee Incentive Grant
FUNDS STILL AVAILABLE - FUNDS STILL AVAILABLE - FUNDS STILL AVAILABLE - FUNDS STILL AVAILABLE - FUNDS STILL AVAILABLE - FUNDS STILL AVAILABLE - APPLY NOW!
Downtown Vibrancy Grants
Call Kaine at 252-820-9785 to discuss
your project before applying.
- Up to $300 reimbursement for new business permitting fees
- Up to $300 reimbursement per full-time employee
Permitting Incentive Grant
RECENT GRANTS AWARDED - RECENT GRANTS AWARDED - RECENT GRANTS AWARDED - RECENT GRANTS AWARDED - RECENT GRANTS AWARDED - RECENT GRANTS AWARDED